Friday, April 14, 2006

Application Process Begins

In January 2006 I began to fill out the online PC application. It was quite in depth so I did small parts off and on for a few weeks. During this time I also updated my resume and wrote two essays as part of the application. I submitted my completed application on January 20, 2006. I also had to decide who I would have write me recommendations. This was a little tricky because once again I was just in the beginning stage of the process. It still seemed far fetched and I didn't want to get my hopes up or really have a lot of people know that I was seriously thinking
about PC. I decided to have two teachers that I currently worked with, my principal, and a professor from grad school. My recruiter (Katie) emailed me a few days after my application was submitted online and told me that she would be interviewing at University of Cincinnati and Xavier University campus the second week of February. So I had preliminary phone interview on February 3rd with Katie, attended an evening information session at UC on February 7th where I met Katie and other return volunteers, and had in person interview on February 9th at XU. Following the interview, I had additional paperwork (FBI fingerprints, student loan deferment forms, education/volunteer experience addendum, resume, etc). Once all references had submitted recommendations and I had completed forms, I was received an email from Katie on February 28th asking if I would be interested in a math resource/secondary education position in Africa leaving in July. I was amazed at how quick the process was going. It sounded like the perfect fit...at the end of the school year, education related and more of a training/leadership position rather than simply being a teacher, and of course the whole Africa thing fits the picture of what most people have in their head of what PC is. So I emailed her right back to tell her that I would accept the nomination. About a week later, I received the official nomination as well as the HUGE medical packet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home