Friday, May 26, 2006

Things I'm Going To Miss...

Friday May 26th (10pm)

Things I'm going to miss....
My parents 50th birthdays
My great grandma's 100th birthday
Lacey's 21st birthday
Alisha's graduation
Charlie's wedding
Dark chocolate
Donato's pizza
My quiet little private apartment
Cell phone and internet access
Seeing a classroom full of middle schoolers
YMCA classes
Talking on the phone to family and friends
Oprah
Driving
Walmart
Family cookouts
The spring and fall seasons
Middle schooler's humor
Washer and dryer (soon be hand washing)
George Foreman grill, toaster oven, and refridgerator
Popsicles (with the cheesy kids' jokes)
Spaghetti, alfredo, grilled chicken, mashed potatoes
American food
Vanilla candles
Bath & Body Works
Privacy / alone time
Relaxing on the couch with a good movie
Air conditioning
Sleeping in
My bed
The convenience of a Wendy's drive thru
Getting pedicures



People I'm going to miss...
Everyone :)
My parents
My brother Charlie
My grandparents
My aunts and uncles
All my cousins
All my friends
Teachers I teach with
My students
My cats


Things I'm not going to miss...
Balancing my checkbook
Paying bills
The feeling of rushing from place to place
Cold snowy winters
Traffic
One-way streets
Cat litter box

1 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Sarah! I just got e-mailed your blog and I'm a current PCV in South Africa. Thought I'd let you know that there are some things you don't have to miss (and other things you can't escape!).

You can find dark chocolate in almost any grocery store or Clicks pharmacy
I LIVE with my cell phone. I text all the time! I don't know any SA PCVs that don't have one! You can get an internet phone, or use internet in town.
Oprah is on everyday on SABC 3.
Some families have a washer and dryer or you could always pay someone else to wash your laundry.
You can get a George Foreman (or a knock-off) at groceries stores or Clicks, although they aren't next to the dark chocolate. All but one current education PCV has electricity. Chances are very good you'll have a fridge.
There's a Bath and Body in Menlyn Mall in Pretoria.
There is nothing but time, alone or with people. You will have your own room during training and at your permanent site. Want to be alone? Want to have privacy? Simply go to your room and close the door. You can still hear the rest of the house though. . .
Sleeping in happens every weekend! One volunteer even worked out a deal with her schools that she would go at 10.

You can't escape. . .
Rushing from place to place. But it's more of rushing, waiting, rushing, waiting.
Cold winters! It's winter now and it's super cold. The houses aren't insulated and heaters are rare. Bathing is super cold. I'm from Wisconsin, but this is the coldest I've been in years!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home